The oxygen concentrator – January 2020
The clinic sent us a couple of photos this month of the oxygen concentrator so we asked Lulu more about the machine and its uses, he said:
The oxygen concentrator machine creates oxygen by removing nitrogen from the ambient air.
We mostly use this machine here in the clinic when a patient is in:
- Respiratory distress – say due severe acute asthmatic attack etc
- Very severe pneumonia
- Severe birth asphyxia etc
In this photo, the machine beside the mother and her newborn baby is the clinic oxygen concentrator donated by CRESS. We had to put it close in case the baby shows a sudden episode of respiratory distress, emergency oxygen therapy can be administered – it was a night delivery. So we had to monitor both the mother and her adorable baby so closely. Thank God we did not use the machine on the baby as we were anticipating danger at first.
- Safely delivered 9 babies in the clinic
- Managed all the critically ill patients in the clinic and appropriately referred those that needed further management.
- Maintained all the clinic equipment in good working condition
- Booked many expectant mothers for antenatal care service
- Scanned a total of 43 patients